Sky Blues still in the hunt

Sydney FC kept alive their hopes of qualifying for the Asian Champions League knockout phase when they held Shanghai SIPG to a 2-2 draw in China.

Steve Corica's side have yet to win after four rounds of the group stages but have drawn three games, including back-to-back clashes with the Chinese team.

Adam le Fondre, who scored in the 3-3 draw with the Chinese Super League champions at Jubilee Oval earlier in the month, earned them a point with his second-half header this time.

The Sky Blues remain two points behind Shanghai SIPG, who are in the second qualifying spot in Group H, with two rounds left.

They are likely to have to win both of their remaining matches, away to Ulsan Hyundai and at home to Kawasaki Frontale, next month to have any chance of progressing.

Corica had named an unchanged team from the one that beat Perth Glory 1-0 in their last outing but star midfielder Milos Ninkovic felt unwell in the warm-up so he was withdrawn from the side.

Goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne made early saves from Brazilians Hulk and Oscar before Sydney FC made the breakthrough on 33 minutes.

The move started with Rhyan Grant's run down the right and, after Reza Ghoochannejhad fed Anthony Caceres, he played in Brandon O'Neill who had made a run from deep. O'Neill directed his low shot perfectly behind keeper Yan Jungling into the corner of the net.

The home side made a switch at the break, sending on Elkeson, and coach Vitor Pereira was rewarded for the move just two minutes into the second half when the substitute beat le Fondre in the air to head home Oscar's corner.

Shanghai took the lead just before the hour mark when Wang Shenchao slammed home a cross from Zhang Wei on the volley. But three minutes later Sydney FC got back on terms, Siem De Jong's powerful cross being glanced home by the head of le Fondre.

Sydney FC are 2/1 to win the A-League Grand Final and 21/10 to win their next game against Newcastle Jets, who are 6/5 with the draw 5/2.