Schweinsteiger set to stay

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has hinted that he will not be selling Bastian Schweinsteiger in January.

The 32-year-old German is under contract at Old Trafford until 2018, but was thought to be deemed surplus to requirements at United by Mourinho.

However, Schweinsteiger made his first United appearance since March as a late substitute in Wednesday's 4-1 EFL Cup win over West Ham and Mourinho has suggested there is every chance the midfielder could stay until the end of the campaign.

"Of course he can [stay]," Mourinho said ahead of Sunday's Premier League trip to Everton.

"In the summer we tried to make something happen for Bastian to get a different future. If you have a contract with the club you are the powerful one that can decide your future.

"He decided to stay even in difficult circumstances. He worked for that and deserved that little happiness of the last month.

"He is another in the squad who is working to try to have more chances."

Schweinsteiger has featured in 18 Premier League matches since joining the club in a £14.4million deal from Bayern Munich almost 17 months ago.

United, 4500/1 to win the Premier League title this season, can be backed at 8/1 to beat Everton 2-1 on Sunday at Goodison Park.

Arnold confirms Brosque for Jets clash

Skipper Alex Brosque will definitely start Sydney FC's clash with Newcastle Jets on Sunday.

Coach Graham Arnold has confirmed the marquee will back up after playing in Wednesday's FFA Cup final defeat to Melbourne City.

Left-back Michael Zullo has also been given the green light to face the Jets.

The defender pulled up sore after the cup decider – he was hurt in tackles from Tim Cahill and Luke Brattan – and didn't take part in Friday's light training session.

But the 28-year-old, who was initially thought to be in doubt for the Newcastle game, will be available for the trip to McDonald Jones Stadium.

Brosque has been managed in the early part of the season but this time Arnold isn't concerned about him playing two games in the space of five days.

The coach feels former Socceroo David Carney should get a starting spot against the Jets.

"Our set pieces haven't been fantastic and we miss his delivery so we need a way to get him on the pitch," he said.

Sydney failed to lift a first trophy in six years when they went down to City in Wednesday's decider, and have drawn their last two league games.

Arnold has seen his team – who won their first six games of the season – brought back to the chasing pack and they went into the round just four points ahead of second-placed City.

Speaking of his team's performance in the final, he said: "It was good except the last ball, the execution. We need to be better at the final decision, which we have been in the first six weeks of the league.

"We'll use (the loss) to make sure we're better – no one wants to feel the way they felt after the game."

The Sky Blues are 7/10 to win their next game against Newcastle Jets, who are 15/4 with the draw 3/1.

Sydney FC are 7/1 to win the game 2-1.

View all Soccer betting

Ninkovic rejects Serbia overtures

Milos Ninkovic has turned his back on a potential international return with Serbia to keep his focus on Sydney FC.

The 31-year-old is the Sky Blues leading scorer, from midfield, and put himself back in the frame for a recall to the Serbian squad.

He hasn't played for his national team since 2012, when he earned his 28th cap. The midfielder started in games against Germany and Australia in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Ninkovic was approached ahead of the November international fixtures against Wales and Ukraine.

Serbian officials expressed their interest in bringing him back, but he turned down the chance to play alongside the likes of Nemanja Matic, Branislav Ivanovic and Adem Ljajic.

He confirmed his stance that in moving to Australia he had effectively retired from international football.

Players in the A-League must miss club matches if they are called up for international duty as the domestic competition does not break for international windows.

"I spoke with some people [at the Serbian Football Association], but I didn't speak with the coach [Slavoljub Muslin]," said Ninkovic.

"Like I said many times, even in Serbia when I played in Serbia, for me the national team is over. Now I play in Australia and it's not too easy to go to play for the national team during this season."

His decision means he's closed the door on the chance to potentially play in a second World Cup in Russia in two years' time – Serbia are second in their qualifying group after four games.

Ninkovic said it was impractical for him to be flying off to play international football during the A-League season.

"I'm still in Australia and I think it's not possible because I just need one day for travelling and after four or five days to recover," he added.

The Sky Blues are 7/10 to win their next game against Newcastle Jets, who are 15/4 with the draw 3/1.

View all Soccer betting

Keogh sets Perth landmark

Andy Keogh showed again why he's such an important figure for Perth Glory as his goal earned them a 1-1 draw against Melbourne Victory.

The home side could have gone back up to second in the A-League table if they had won, and fancied their chances against Kenny Lowe's team who had lost their previous three away games.

Keogh, though, scored the goal that deprived them of a win they merited on the number of chances.

Victory had 22 shots to Perth's four, but Keogh's goal gave them a share of the spoils and took him to seven for the season.

It also made the former Republic of Ireland international the club's all-time leading goalscorer in the A-League era.

He put Perth in front and though A-League all-time record scorer Besart Berisha replied for Victory they couldn't go on and send their 16,000 fans away happy.

Marco Rojas, Besart Berisha, James Troisi, Fahid Ben Khalfallah and substitute Jai Ingham all missed golden chances to win it for Victory.

Rojas saw his first-half effort tipped onto the post by keeper Liam Reddy, with Troisi's late volley also striking the woodwork.

Victory had the ball in the net three times only to be denied by the offside flag.

Ben Khalfallah shot wide with two chances in the space of five minutes.

Keogh struck on 17 minutes after Nebojsa Marinkovic put Chris Harold away down the right. He outpaced Leigh Broxham and cut back for Keogh to fire a first-time shot past keeper Lawrence Thomas.

Though Victory were denied when Rojas' right-foot curler was gloved onto the woodwork by Reddy, the New Zealand international was instrumental in their equaliser.

Rojas continued his streak of scoring or assisting in every match this season, finding Berisha in the box after Perth defender Dino Djulbic blundered. Djulbic missed the ball completely and Berisha buried his volley past Reddy from six yards.

Perth are 8/13 to win their next game against Newcastle Jets, who are 9/2, while the draw is 3/1.

View all Australian Rules betting

No Arsenal recall for Wilshere

Eddie Howe has made it clear that Arsenal will not be recalling Jack Wilshere from his loan spell at Bournemouth even though Santi Cazorla is set to be out of action until March.

The Cherries signed Wilshere on a season-long loan deal at the end of August and Howe says there is no release clause in the midfielder's agremeent.

Howe said: "Jack's with us for the season."

The Bournemouth manager is not sure whether Nathan Ake will remain at the club beyond January though.

The Dutchman joined the club on a season-long deal from Chelsea in June, but Howe said of Ake: "We see his future here for this season, the whole season.

"With most loan agreements there are certain clauses. We'll have to see what happens, but we want Nathan to stay.

"We're not surprised in terms of the quality of performance he's delivered. The only surprise is how comfortable he's looked for someone coming into the team for his first appearances.

"He looks like he's been playing in the team for a number of years. That's a huge compliment because it's not an easy thing to do."

Bournemouth can be backed at 4/1 to beat Liverpool on Sunday while they are 21/20 to finish in the top half of the Premier League table this term.

Glory mantra pays off

Perth Glory coach Kenny Lowe was happy to settle for a draw as his side held Melbourne Victory 1-1 at AAMI Park.

The Glory had lost three consecutive away games before travelling to Melbourne, but stopped the rot thanks to Andy Keogh's landmark goal.

Lowe revealed a player pact to improve their results on the road lay behind their point against Kevin Muscat's side.

They may have had only four shots to Victory's 22, but the honours were even at the end of 90 minutes.

Muscat argued after the game that his side had merited the win, and Lowe couldn't take much issue with him.

"They had enough chances to win three games," he said. "That's the beauty of (football); that's why everyone gets so emotional and worked up."

The way his team started the game pleased Lowe, as they made it clear they were out to take something back to Perth. And they were equally determined in the final stages, as the home side went all-out in search of a winner.

"The first 20 we were bang on," said Lowe. "We did exactly what we wanted to do and we scored a goal that was exactly how we anticipated we could hurt them."

There was a good build-up to the game from a psychological point of view, said Lowe.

"We didn't want to lose today and we spoke about that all week," he added. "It was the mantra; we were going to come here and get something out of it. And we have done."

Perth are 8/13 to win their next game against Newcastle Jets, who are 9/2 with the draw 3/1.

View all Soccer betting

Koeman pleads for more time

Ronald Koeman hopes that he is given plenty of time as he attempts to revive Everton's fortunes.

Everton have only won one of their last eight Premier League matches and are 19/20 to lose again against Manchester United at Goodison Park on Sunday.

They were particularly poor last weekend when they lost 1-0 to the team Koeman left in the summer – Southampton – while they needed a last-gasp equaliser to draw 1-1 with Swansea City on home soil a fortnight ago.

Everton are seventh in the Premier League table, five points outside of the European places, and 25/1 to finish in the top six this term.

"We need at least this winter and we need next summer to make changes in this club," Koeman said.

"I still have the belief we will be successful at Everton. Maybe we need a little more time, maybe we need to make more changes in the team, maybe we need it for next season.

"We know it is a new project and everybody knows that takes time. We had a good start, it is a difficult time now but that is football."

Experience a bonus for O’Neill

Northern Ireland head coach Michael O'Neill believes age and experience are two major factors which continue to drive his players on.

O'Neill and his squad bring down the curtain on a superb 2016 with a Belfast friendly against Croatia on Tuesday evening, with the Irish aiming to end on yet another high note.

The summer saw them appear at a first-ever European Championship finals tournament, with O'Neill's men acquitting themselves well to progress to the knockout stages, before being edged out 1-0 by Wales.

Since then they have started well in World Cup qualifying and are currently in second place in Group C behind world champions Germany.

And O'Neill has pointed to the ageing nature of his squad as a plus rather than a minus, saying: "A lot of our key players are 30-plus, but maybe what that gives us in our favour is they don't want this to stop, they want it to last as long as it can.

"When you've played a lot of international football you want it to last as long as possible, because they have played through some dark days as well.

"The legacy, hopefully, this group of players leave is a positive one, not only from the Euros but going forward, because they genuinely want to go to a World Cup and push for that and be in contention for that."

Croatia and Northern Ireland have never met before on the international stage and the visitors arrive having won their last three games without conceding a goal.

The Croats are 6/5 to keep another clean sheet on Tuesday evening, with a goalless draw priced at 6/1, while Kyle Lafferty – who has scored three times in his last three Ireland appearances – is 3/1 to find the net at any time.

View all Soccer betting

Busquets talks up England clash

Spain midfielder Sergio Busquets says he and his team-mates are preparing for a 'big game' against England at Wembley on Tuesday evening.

Both sides have taken ten points from a possible 12 in their World Cup qualifying campaigns to date, but will take time away from competitive action to face off in London.

However, Barcelona star Busquets believes that there will still be plenty on the line for two teams who he feels are in similar positions.

He told reporters: "England are a great side full of top players. Like ourselves a little bit recently, they've not done so well in tournaments.

"They've not had the best of fortune in the World Cup and the Euros, but it's still a big game, both for individuals in the Spanish set-up and also as a group, as a team.

"We're a new group, we've got lots of new faces, youngsters who joined the group recently and we've not made so many games with the new manager.

"It's a great opportunity to fight and battle against a top side and continue to progress as a team."

Manchester City playmaker David Silva is a major doubt for Spain due to a foot problem, while head coach Julen Lopetegui is expected to give debuts to both Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera and former Liverpool forward Iago Aspas, who has impressed for Celta Vigo this season.

Spain have won four of their last five meetings with England, but lost 1-0 on their last visit to Wembley, with Frank Lampard scoring the only goal of the game in November 2011.

The visitors are 17/10 to claim victory on Tuesday evening, with the draw priced at 11/5, while England can be backed at 15/2 to secure another 1-0 victory.

View all Soccer betting

Lampard set for new challenge

Former England midfielder Frank Lampard says he is ready for the next chapter of his career after confirming he is to leave MLS outfit New York City.

The 38-year-old failed to guide City to the MLS title but did manage to bag himself 15 goals in 31 appearances through the regular season and the playoffs.

Lampard has been tightlipped on where he will be playing next or if indeed that is the end of his playing career which has seen the playmaker win three Premier League titles, four FA Cups, the Champions League and the Europa League.

He wrote on his Instagram account: "I have very much enjoyed my time, and I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to play for such a great club and in such an incredible city.

"I leave with many great memories as I embark on the next stage of my career and I’ll be making an announcement very soon."

Meanwhile Lampard's former clubs Chelsea and Manchester City are 1/250 and 4500/1 respectively to win the Premier League this season, while his first top flight side West Ham are 1000/1 to be relegated to the Championship this term.

View all Soccer betting