Redknapp lands striker Vassell

Harry Redknapp has added to his strike options by persuading Luton Town's Isaac Vassell to move to Birmingham City for an undisclosed fee.

The 23-year-old forward has put pen to paper on a four-year deal at St Andrew's and could feature against Bolton Wanderers on Tuesday. Birmingham are 4/5 to win the match and 11/2 to draw it 1-1.

Redknapp has moved quickly to land the former Truro City striker after Che Adams hobbled off during the 2-1 win against Bristol City on Saturday.

Vassell, who scored 14 goals in his last 29 games for the Hatters, is Redknapp's fourth summer signing following the arrivals of David Stockdale, Marc Roberts and Cheikh Nodye.

Vassell said: "I am absolutely buzzing, I can't wait to get going.

"It's a massive club, I am delighted to be here. And to work under Harry Redknapp, such an experienced head, I can't wait. I want to do the best I can.

"From what I have heard from everyone the club is moving forward and it's going to be a good place to be at.

"I just want to come in and make an impact, show everyone what I can do, bang some goals in. This is a great opportunity for me and I can't let this one pass."

Benitez keen to snap up duo

Newcastle United boss Rafa Benitez is keen to strengthen his squad before the transfer window closes at the end of this month.

The Magpies are being linked with Stoke City's Joselu and Kenedy of Chelsea, and Benitez is keen to tie up deals for the duo as soon as possible.

The need for additions is more acute after Paul Dummett suffered an injury during Sunday's 2-0 home defeat to Tottenham and has been ruled out for two weeks while Florian Lejeune could also be set for a spell on the sidelines after being caught by Harry Kane.

Jonjo Shelvey is also set for a lengthy lay-off after he was sent off for stamping on Dele Alli.

When asked about reinforcements, Benitez said: "The situation is the same as we had before the game, so it doesn't change too much. We knew what we needed and we know what we need."

Joselu moved to Stoke two years ago from Hannover 96 but has only scored four times in 22 appearances for the Potters and was sent out on loan to Deportivo La Coruna last season.

Kenedy has been at Chelsea for the last two years but the 21-year-old Brazilian has had limited first-team opportunities during his time at Stamford Bridge.

Newcastle are 3/1 to finish in the top half of the Premier League table this season and 21/10 to beat Huddersfield Town on Sunday.

Pochettino: We need new faces

Tottenham head coach Mauricio Pochettino is keen to sign some new players this month so that he can add some energy to his squad.

Pochettino has not bought anyone since the end of last season but has sold right-back Kyle Walker to Manchester City for £50million.

Danny Rose last week urged the club to buy some new players and Pochettino agrees with the England international.

Spurs have been linked with Everton midfielder Ross Barkley, Ajax defender Davison Sanchez and Valencia right-back Joao Cancelo, and Pochettino, speaking after watching his side win 2-0 at Newcastle United, said: "I think the balance is the most important.

"We need some new faces to bring new energy in the team. It's always important to challenge your best players. It's true that we are calm and we are strong enough to compete in the same way we did last season.

"But for me we need to sign some new players before the end of the transfer window. I think it's always important to refresh the squad and help the competition between us. We have ten months ahead of us and we are involved in four competitions.

"The Champions League demands a lot of energy. We need more competition, more quality and more players that can help the team to keep the level that we want to show in every game."

Spurs, 8/1 to win the Premier League title this season, are 8/11 to finish in the top four this term.

Dejected Bilic fears the worst

West Ham United manager Slaven Bilic has admitted that Sunday's 4-0 defeat to Manchester United will take a lot of getting over.

Romelu Lukaku scored twice for Jose Mourinho's side on his home debut while Anthony Martial and Paul Pogba were also on target as the Hammers produced a lack-lustre display at Old Trafford.

Bilic has signed Marko Arnautovic, Joe Hart, Pablo Zabaleta and Javier Hernandez this summer and the Hammers were expected to do well this season.

However, a dejected Bilic admitted: "We aren't going to forget about this game in a hurry.

"We need to analyse it. The first couple of goals we conceded from our mistakes. We were alright until then.

"We are very low at the moment. It was a very bad result for us. They were much better than us, better with the ball and without the ball.

"We made big, big mistakes like the first goal. Very deep in the first half, it was promising and then we lost it."

West Ham are 6/4 to finish in the top half of the Premier League table while they can be backed at 4/1 to beat Southampton this weekend.

Grayson ready for hectic spell

Simon Grayson hopes that his Sunderland players can overcome fatigue in the next few weeks as they attempt to secure an immediate return to the Premier League.

The Black Cats, 6/1 to be promoted this season, clinched an impressive 3-1 win at Norwich City on Sunday but face a very hectic few weeks.

Grayson said: "We have Sheffield Wednesday (next on Wednesday), Leeds, Barnsley and Carlisle United in the next two weeks.

"We played Thursday and only made four changes, flew down on Sunday and are in action again Wednesday.

"It will test the squad. We like to rotate it but players don't get as tired when they are winning matches."

Former Norwich star Lewis Grabban scored twice for Grayson's side at Carrow Road and also netted an own goal.

Aiden McGeady notched Sunderland's other goal with a brilliant 20-yard effort.

Grabban is 11/4 to score against Sheffield Wednesday this week in a match Sunderland can be backed at 16/1 to win 2-0. Norwich are available at 9/2 to be promoted this season after Sunday's defeat.

Klopp: Reds squad is lacking

Jurgen Klopp has admitted that the Liverpool squad is lacking in terms of numbers but they are working hard to strengthen.

The Reds boss watched his side concede three goals in Saturday's opening Premier League game at Watford with an injury time effort from Miguel Britos denying the Merseysiders all three points as they had to settle for a 3-3 draw.

It led to calls for the German to go out and bolster his defensive options between now and the transfer window closing with Southampton's Dutch central defender Virgil van Dijk continuing to be linked with a switch to Anfield.

Klopp could also still lose his talisman Philippe Coutinho in this window as he recently handed in a transfer request in a bid to push through a move to Barcelona.

But, speaking ahead of Tuesday's Champions League qualifying play-off first leg tie at German Bundesliga side Hoffenheim which Coutinho will miss because of a back injury, the former Borussia Dortmund chief vowed to the supporters that work is going on behind the scenes to bring in reinforcements right throughout his squad.

"We are still working on all parts,” Klopp said. "We are in talks and we work on all parts of the game. The squad at the moment is not too wide for a lot of games. That’s it."

Liverpool are 13/10 to win the first leg on Tuesday, while Hoffenheim are priced at 2/1 and the draw is 12/5.

Neymar feels ‘alive’ after debut strike

Neymar claims he feels "more alive than ever" at Paris Saint-Germain after scoring in his debut outing against Guingamp on Sunday.

The 25-year-old Brazilian's recent £200 million switch from Barcelona to the French Ligue 1 outfit smashed the world record transfer fee paid out and placed huge pressure on his shoulders to perform.

However, Neymar enjoyed a successful first outing for PSG as he provided an assist to Edinson Cavani to make it 2-0 after Jordan Ikoko's own goal had put the visitors in front on 52 minutes.

Cavani then turned provider for Neymar to round off the scoring from close range eight minutes from time which completed a satisfactory evening's work.

Afterwards Neymar again spoke out to justify his decision to leave the Camp Nou for the Parc des Princes and insisted that he feels happier at his new club.

"I am very serene. I knew it would be very difficult to leave Barca, but I am very happy to be here," he told Canal+.

"People think that leaving Barca is to die, but no, it's the opposite: I'm more alive than ever.

"I play, I'm very happy, and football is the same. Only the country, the city and the team change, but football is the same.

"I am very happy with the [man of the match] trophy, but the main thing was to win.

"The team played well, we did a great game, we are very happy with this game and goals, but the most important is the victory."

PSG are 1/9 to win the Ligue 1 title this season, having lost out to Monaco last term, while Neymar is 6/4 to finish the leading scorer in France.

European duo on Joyce’s radar

Bart Schenkeveld is tipped to be the next player arriving at Melbourne City, with coach Warren Joyce also targeting Croatian attacking midfielder Antun Palic.

City want to net Palic as their marquee in time for the new season, while Schenkeveld is poised to sign from Dutch club PEC Zwolle.

Former City coach John van 't Schip, who is now with Zwolle, said the 25-year-old hadn't been in his matchday squad for the clash with Roda at the weekend because he was hoping to secure a transfer.

Strong reports from Holland suggest he is heading to City.

The former Feyenoord player didn't cement his place in that side in his three years there, but was in the shop window on loan with Excelsior at the end of his final Eredivisie campaign.

The former Holland U-19 international played 61 games for Heracles Almelo from 2012-15 and has been with Zwolle since then.

City are reportedly close to making Palic their marquee for the upcoming season.

Joyce currently has Bruno Fornaroli, Tim Cahill and Nicolas Colazo as his marquees but has been strongly linked with free agent Palic.

The 29-year-old recently ended a two-year stint with Romanian club Dinamo Bucharest.

City have been in the market for a new attacker following the departure of Anthony Caceres to the UAE.

Zagreb-born Palic would be a direct replacement for Caceres on the pitch.

The playmaker represented Croatia at U19, U20 and U21 level but has never played for the senior team.

Palic has played for a total of eight clubs across four countries including stints with Cypriot outfit AEK Larnaca and Bangkok United in Thailand.

Melbourne City are 13/2 to win the Grand Final. City are 1/1 to win their first game of the league season against Brisbane, who are 23/10 with the draw 11/4.

Costa issues strike warning to Chelsea

Diego Costa has warned Chelsea that he will only consider joining Atletico Madrid and will stay in Brazil for a year if he does not get his wish.

The 28-year-old is no longer in the plans of Chelsea boss Antonio Conte and revealed that the news was broken to him via a text messgae from the Italian when he was on international duty with Spain earlier in the summer.

Costa, who scored 20 goals to help the Blues win the Premier League title last season, has since returned to his country of birth, Brazil, until his future is resolved.

Chelsea appear happy to sell him to the highest bidder who will meet their £50million valuation, while Costa will only consider a return to Atletico, where he spent eight years before moving to Stamford Bridge for £32million in 2014.

The Spanish club cannot sign any players until January and Costa will be happy to wait to secure his desired move, while he has vowed to stay in Brazil without playing if Chelsea fail to grant him his wish.

He told the Daily Mail: "My idea would be to go to Madrid, train there, get in the best physical shape and be ready to fire ahead of the World Cup. I've spoken to Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia. I said, "If the manager doesn't want me, I want to go to Atletico Madrid". I have rejected other offers. They want to sell me to China or other teams.

"If I have to I will stay in Brazil. I am open to being a year in Brazil without playing, even if Chelsea fine me for a year and don't pay me. I'll come back stronger. If I was in the wrong, I'd go back now and do as they say."

The news will be a further headache to Conte and the Londoners after their Premier League title defence got off to a disastrous start on Saturday when they were defeated 3-2 by Burnley at Stamford Bridge and ended the game with nine men after Gary Cahill and Cesc Fabregas were both red carded.

Chelsea are 7/1 to to retain the Premier League title without Costa this season, while they are priced at 16/1 to win the Champions League on their return to the tournament.

Nabbout: Jets to go on front foot

Andrew Nabbout is confident Newcastle Jets will show much more attacking intent next season under new coach Ernie Merrick.

The Jets picked up the wooden spoon last season, the second time they've propped up the table in the past three years.

But in Merrick they have a coach who has two Premiers Plates and two champions on his cv.

Merrick has a renewed sense of passion for the game after a spell mulling his future after he stepped down at Wellington Phoenix in the middle of last season.

Twice the A-League's coach of the year, Merrick won two Grand Finals in the space of three years with Melbourne Victory.

So Nabbout is confident better days are ahead as the club approach the new season with an attacking mindset.

The Jets have recruited strongly with the likes of Roy O'Donovan, Dimitri Petratos, Nikolai Topor-Stanley and Daniel Georgievski on board.

They haven't made the finals in eight years, but Merrick aims to change that with a more pro-active, exciting style.

Nabbout said: "We're just going to be on the front foot; we're not going to be sitting back and let teams attack us like we did last season. We're going to attack them and we're going to give them hell going forward.

"The first couple of rounds last season that really worked for us, we played an attacking brand of football bit I felt like we dropped off a little bit and let teams at us which is what cost us towards the end of the season."

Nabbout scored eight goals and provided four assists for Newcastle last season, so will again be looked to as an attacking force. He created 24 chances in 24 appearances in his most consistent season in league.

Newcastle are 25/1 to win the Grand Final and 6/4 to win their first game of the league season against Central Coast, who are 13/8 with the draw 5/2.